[pianotech] key dip (was gaug) In defense of Andrè

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Feb 27 09:56:54 PST 2009

I thought I might clarify a bit of what Andrè  means by his statement
that aftertouch is a natural result of a perfect regulation. I suppose
most of you know this stuff, but I will run through some of the points
anyways. Many of you know that Andrè is my  good friend and one of my
most valued mentors through time, so I dare say I have some rather keen
insights into his thinking. Andrè is from the get go one of the most
refined concert technicians I have ever had the pleasure to meet, work
with, and learn from. His reputation in Europe is impeccable and one
would be foolish indeed to not listen with both ears wide open when he
talks action <<shop talk>>.

As to his requirement for as exacting a 10 mm key dip as he can get let
me say the following.  With that as a starting point, and utilizing
hammer blow distance as the float to acquire general aftertouch degree
requirements there are a couple other important regulation points that
typically do not get mentioned when discussing aftertouch. We get
quickly into what the Japanese refer to as Hataraki....which is a
closely related concept to aftertouch but by no means the same.

The jacks position at rest, both with regard to the knuckle / rep arm
and with regard to its rest position (ie parallel with the core of the
knuckle) and the relationship of letoff to drop (ie how close and in
which order these two are to being actuated simultaneously) all have a
perceivable impact on the sensation of aftertouch. One of the Japanese
<<superstars>> I met... a Mr Takahara was simply amazing in how he could
quickly alter (positively) the touch sensation of aftertouch just by the
feel of the key and limiting his adjustments to regulating jack in
window height and jack rest position. He actually <<floated>> to some
small degree both these... mostly the jack rest position, to achieve
what he was after.

My point is... when Andrè states that good (read correct) aftertouch is
a result of a very fine regulation it is because he is paying very close
attention to all these points along the way and his resulting aftertouch
is HIS indicator of how well he has done on that path. And it does
indeed work very well for him.

For me, I choose another route and also, like many of you get very very
fine touch results.  There are indeed several ways of skinning a cat.

Cheers
RicB