[pianotech] Spontaneous String Breakage

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Feb 27 07:02:55 PST 2009

I don't rule out salt air, but in our basement organ room with a
harpsichord, they will break strings by itself over the humid summer
unless I lower the pitch down ( alot!) in the summer.  No salt air
anywhere close to here in Nebrasky.
Paul

"Mike Kurta" <mkurta1 at comcast.net>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
02/26/2009 08:30 PM
Please respond to
pianotech at ptg.org

<pianotech at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [pianotech] Spontaneous String Breakage

    Yes, spontaneous string breakage does happen though not that often. I
wonder if salt air is a factor?   Perhaps its age and  environment  have
taken their toll on this piano and you're now seeing the result.  There
may
be more to replace as time goes on......
    Mike Kurta