[pianotech] Weber Upright Pinblock

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Feb 27 06:38:51 PST 2009

You may well have a legitimate concern there. Good point. I would think that drilling out the hole to accept the plug would remove any silicone-contaminated wood, but it would perhaps be hard to guarantee.

Maybe it would depend a lot on how much silicone got in there. I just re-read your post describing what Phil Glenn said. Seem like he said that the silicone actually seeped some inches through the block to the bottom row of tuning pins. Hard to imagine that. But if that is what actually happened, then sounds like you're right - bonding anything to silicone-contaminated wood may likely be problematic.

Heck, it might be a problem trying to glue in a new block!

Terry Farrell