[pianotech] Spontaneous String Breakage

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Feb 27 04:44:13 PST 2009

> Duaine,
> I'm having trouble imagining how the dampers leaving the surface of the
> string with the pedal could contribute to string breakage. Isn't the
> damper off the string anyway when the hammer impacts ?
> Any explanation of this theory appreciated,
> Tom Driscoll

Tom,
It's not the lifting of the dampers that does it, it's riding
the pedal and not allowing them to damp that's the problem.
It's a timing thing, When a string is being hit OFTEN and
HARD, and isn't damped between blows, the hammer will hit the
string that's already at the top of it's excursion, and over
stress it for the 214,000th time. This is particularly common
in small churches with big names
Ron N