[pianotech] Weber Upright Pinblock

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Thu Feb 26 13:36:05 PST 2009

Wesley

>From your description, it sounds like there is a crack in the pin block. So no matter which method you use, it will not?take away the crack.?If you want a stop gap solution, drive the pins deeper.?It will?tighten?the pins for maybe 3 or 4 years, at best. If you replace the pins with larger ones, you'll get?maybe more 10 years, at best, but it will also?widen the crack, before?you have to replace the pins again.?Although CA glue will fill the cracks, which should be a more or less permanent solution, unless more cracks will appear in a different part of the pin block.?

I would suggest you do a combination of A & C, but? instead of CA glue, use impact resin. Tip the piano on it's back, remove the tuning pins in the effected area, and fill the holes about half way with?the impact resin. Drive in the same size pins. Some of the resin will fill the cracks, and some of it will come back out of the hole. Let the resin set for about 3 or 4 days. Remove the pins, and drive in one size larger.

Of course the?best solution is a new piano.
?
Good luck

Wim