[pianotech] Steinway pedals

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Tue Feb 24 18:47:30 PST 2009

More than likely the ends of your sticks are just worn.  The dimension of
least expansion/contraction due to humidity changes is the longitudinal
direction of the grain - end-to-end of your lyre sticks.  This doesn't mean
it couldn't happen, but I'd bet that's not it.  you could insert a thin
rubber pad if you like.  I'd probably opt for a leather disc or two in the
lyre columns - or buy replacements and cut to the proper length.

You might want to double check and make sure the lyre is fully seated when
installed so you don't shim if unnecessary.

William R. Monroe

We have a 1922 M in my shop right now, nearing completion of a rebuild.