[pianotech] Bass Top Bridge

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Feb 23 16:49:23 PST 2009

I agree with the couple recommendations you've had so far as being excellent
ways to go. However, if this is a piano in worn condition and there is a
desire to minimize cost, ANY split bridge can be repair with epoxy with very
good results.

Remove strings (at hitch pin) and bridge pins, wet out the surfaces of the
split with unthickened West System epoxy, fill gap with West System epoxy
thickened with their #404 High-Strength Adhesive Filler (thickened like
peanut butter), smooth cap/epoxy surface, push bridge pins in position,
smooth surface again, wait for 24 to 48 hour cure, put strings back on.

This procedure can be completed easily in less than two hours. I've done
this repair many times with complete success. Again, this is my recommended
approach when cost minimization is strongly desired and when commensurate
with the condition/value of the piano.

It doesn't matter if the bridge split is an inch wide (and I know it's not
that wide - is it?), you can repair it with epoxy.

Terry (The Epoxy Man Strikes Again!) Farrell
Farrell Piano, Inc.