[pianotech] What's it's name...

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Mon Feb 23 12:12:47 PST 2009

Hi John,

Lee Valley (which should be renamed "The Most Awesome Tool Store" in
my opinion) sells countersunk washers.  These are high quality, but
might be slightly different from the originals in that, though they
sit flush with the surface, they require counterboring with a forstner
bit (or such).  In other words, although the inside of the countersunk
washer is beveled to match the screw head, the outside is
cylindrical.  Perhaps the originals had beveled outer edges as well.
Note that the Lee Valley type is actually a stronger fastener than the
double-beveled type;  the Lee Valley uses compressive force almost
exclusively to draw the members together, while the double-beveled
type uses compression but can also have a wedging effect on the top
member (which can lead to splitting in some cases).

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=47230&cat=3,41306,41316&ap=1

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh