[pianotech] Air compressor recommendations

Mike Kurta mkurta1 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 22 15:51:35 PST 2009

    Hey John:
    It sounds like your old unit is a high quality compressor.  They are really quite simple to take apart and look inside.  I'll bet you'll be able to visually see the problem.  Case in point:  My compressor, very similar to yours developed a terrible knock after running for a minute or two.  I was sure it was a connecting rod bearing.  I dumped motor honey in it, noise persisted.  Finally took it all apart, found nothing wrong except a loose flywheel.  Reassembled it with lock tite on the flywheel and it runs like new.
    If you are faced with buying a new one, as stated, avoid direct drive oiless diaphragm type compressors, they are VERY noisy and have limited output.  Belt drive, two stage, no less than 8 CFM at 100 Lbs capacity will do the job.  Look around for used in the paper, at auctions, and shop sales.  Good Luck, see you in G.R.
    Mike Kurta