[pianotech] Air compressor recommendations

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Feb 22 12:07:41 PST 2009

> Good point.
> I just found the owners manual. It was a Craftsman, back when they were
> better. Oh, I just noticed yours is a Craftsman, so they must still be good.
> LOL

They're still good, at least by my standards. Eventually, I'll
get around to replacing the tank on my old one and it'll be
fine too.

> It has a nice parts list, so I will go in and see, what I can find.
> I had just replaced the switch last year, so was thinking that it might
> nickel and dime me.
> Another 20 years, I probably won't last that long. LOL
> But fixing for a few years is probably the way to go, since a few years will
> be long enough.

I figure, we spend so much time nursing along old pianos that
should more realistically be either extensively rebuilt or
disposed of, that we ought to at least give an expensive tool
a good look for repair options before writing it off.

> I might even find something simple like a belt off.
> Your e-mail got me thinking, it can't be seized up, or the breaker would
> have blown. It was just making a weird noise, and had no pressure. I had
> forgotten to turn it off, and it was what I noticed on going in this
> morning.

Check the valves. You might have it back up for $30 in parts
and an hour's time.

> They were expensive back then, this one listed for $819.53, and it was 1980,
> not late 70's.

Listed, sure, but what did it actually SELL for? <G>
Ron N