[pianotech] CA glue "paste"

Greg Graham grahampianos at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 21 19:52:50 PST 2009

I stumbled across this tidbit when looking for a way to dye CA glue (you can't, as far as I was able to determine).

CA glue paste can be made by mixing thin CA with talcum powder (not corn starch).  You can color the talc beforehand with refill inkjet printer ink, then let it dry.  Mix the dry, colored talc with CA and you get a paste that hardens "rock hard" in a few minutes.  You can use baking soda the same way.  Fill small cracks by packing in the dry talc, then applying CA.  Mix "bigger" batches in a small cup, but it will generate some heat.  Go small at first.

I didn't try it, but folks who make model airplanes and such use it as a gap filler.  If you need to smooth or shape it, do it soon after it sets up.  It gets very hard to sand or file later.

May be of use somewhere in the piano world.  Maybe.  Where'd I put that baby powder....

Greg Graham