[pianotech] another treat

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 19 06:59:55 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 7:23 AM, Tom Sivak <tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> It's not your brain, it's your ears that get a break.
>
> Tom Sivak
> Chicago

Hi Tom and Ron,

I'm a newbie to the use of an ETD, a Cybertuner to be exact, after 40 years
of aural tuning. I was convinced by my bretheren in my chapter that I could
accomplish more in a day by going electronic. I purchased it in September
and seem to be tuning a little faster.

I don't find a lot less stress on my brain, or my ears, I still have to tune
each string do my tests and do my final checks, I will never trust an ETD
completly with my reputation on the line. I just don't have to set a
temperment or deal with the inharmonicity of the piano, the device
calculates that for me, speeding up the process somewhat. After it has
calculated the specific tuning for the piano I'm doing,  I use the device to
tune the 1st string of the unison then tune the rest by ear as I've always
done.

I still use my 20db earplugs which allow me to hear what I need to hear
without damaging my hearing.
I don't understand how Tom says that can save your ears.

I get what you were saying Ron, I spent all day Tuesday at a school cleaning
up the messes of a self-taught tooner/handyman so the pianos would be usable
for music contests, 2 pitchraises, regluing hammers, aligning dampers,  lost
motion, the normal school stuff in relativly new yamaha and Kawai's.

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404