[pianotech] Sticking key question

Claude Harding charding88 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 18 17:04:50 PST 2009

Matthew,
  I think Dean May has identified the problem.

If using the pedal to disengage the dampers from the equation causes the
keys to come back up, that is characteristic of a damper spoon hanging up in
the damper lever felt.  Sometimes the damper spoon gets dirty or corroded,
or poorly adjusted, and digs a divot in the felt on the damper lever, then
hangs up in it.

Engaged dampers would help to overcome most other causes of sluggishness in
the action.

The problem may be apparent with only the three keys now, but other notes
may be worn and ready to cause problems in the near future.  Be sure to
check them all.  You will have to pull the action to get a good look at
everything.

Good luck!
Claude Harding

  _____