[pianotech] Sticking key question

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 16:14:10 PST 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 5:55 PM, William Monroe <bill at a440piano.net> wrote:

> Or, it's tight key bushings.  With the dampers disengaged, their tightness
> will be magnified, causing them to be more sluggish.
>
> Or........
>
> could be many things.  My money is on bushings.
>
> William R. Monroe

Probably so.  Could be tight balance holes.  I'd budget an hour to check
things (maybe more depending on your skill level). You should be able to
correct excess friction in the keys in about an hour, and possibly have a
little time left over to adjust the capstans.  (Which, BTW, could be
adjusted too high and cause sluggishness.)
Get into a system  -- do it methodically throughout the whole keyboard.
 Check and/or do the bushings first.  It's handy to have one of those tools
that allows easing front rail bushings without having to completely remove
the key from the frame.  You could check the balance rail bushings first,
then check front rail bushings. Then go through and check the balance holes.
 If you do that systematically, it's much faster than trying to do them one
at a time.

--
JF