[pianotech] Sticking key question

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks at att.net
Wed Feb 18 15:07:19 PST 2009

I had a client call me today with several sticking keys.  I understand that diagnosing a sticking key problem over e-mail is next to impossible, but my client gave me some info that I thought possibly some of you, with experiences, might give me a few ideas as to the source of the problem.

The piano is a Kimball console.  My client says that when she plays the piano while using the damper pedal, nothing is wrong.  But when the piano is played without the pedal, at least three keys stay down, and then slowly come up.  In fact, she said that when the keys are down, she'll press the damper pedal, and they will return on their own.

That is the situation, and if anyone has ideas, I will listen.

Thank you in advance,

TODD PIANO WORKS
Matthew Todd, Piano Technician
(979) 248-9578