[pianotech] Mahogany soundboards

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Feb 18 13:29:55 PST 2009

Hey Paul.

    ricb at pianostemmer.no writes:

    The ones  I have run across have all had a very nice sound.

It's the air in Norway, Ric. I can't think of any other reason. :-)

While the air up here indeed has a mild euphoric effect on most folks, I
think in this case its because the Mahægony  (NY accent in deference to
friend Jude) soundboards I've seen come installed in things that
actually bear some semblance to real pianos. One has to remember...
whilst I grew up on Story and Clark's and a host of other such ...er...
ah... instruments, its been nigh on 30 years since I've run into one of
them.  There is actually one make I've across that resembles... they
were made in old Christiana... now called Oslo. United Piano Factory
they were called  tho in Norwegian. Drop actions deep sunk down below
key-level... two string unisons up to C4 or so... tunable really... but
not very nice sounding. Thankfully I have not bumped into more then a
few through the years.  Last Mahogany board I ran into was in a 130 cm
high upright of classic 20's german style... very big and boomy sound.
No problem with the wood thats for sure.

Cheers
RicB