[pianotech] Mahogany soundboards

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Feb 18 00:30:55 PST 2009

I've seen several of these through the years.  Mahogany, as it is
properly spelled :),  has long been seen as an alternative wood to use
in soundboard construction.... tho given the depleted supply of that
along with Beaver hide, whale oil, and just about anything besides
soy-beans... I thing we'll probably not see much happen in that
direction.  The ones I have run across have all had a very nice sound.

Cheers
RicB

    Speaking of a slowing economy, I must personally state that I am
    enjoying getting a little more time back out on the road. It can be
    so gratifying doing whatever can be done in a two hour slot or so to
    improve a piano, compared to spending months on one piano splitting
    all those exponentially decreasing hairs.

    Anyway, I stumbled across this treat a few weeks ago. It's an L.
    Berger & Co. console made in Philadelphia. It wasn't obvious that
    the s/b was mahagony until I went to adjust the pedals and saw it
    with me own eyes. I didn't get a chance to verify if it was
    laminated, my two hours ran up. ;)  Next time.

    Jude Reveley, RPT
    Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC
    Lowell, Massachusetts