[pianotech] Wurzen/Weickert felt

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Tue Feb 17 15:15:21 PST 2009

I like your explanation,  Bill.  It makes sense.  And we certainly do see
many hammers that have too much felt on them.  Or more to the point, too
much softer outer felt.  Whether one lacquers on the top of the hammer as
Dale suggests or just above the molding as David has offered, it is
important to have determined by filing a lot or a little and then listening,
that the now outer felt is giving as much brilliance from this particular
set of hammers as we can reasonably expect before trying other means.   I
have done enough doping myself over the years to know that a hammer with
very soft outer felt that is lacquered will sound different than the same
hammer that has been filed to get to some harder inner felt and then
lacquered, and it won't sound as good.  No contradiction to what you and
David are saying, just a reminder that this is part of the process too.

Will Truitt