[pianotech] Equipment Purchase Help

Steven Hopp hoppsmusic at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 17 08:09:56 PST 2009

Hello all,

As my business grows and having past experience in another business I have learned that the proper equipment makes a huge difference in efficiency.  That said there is a huge amount of equipment necessary for piano repair and minor refurbishing.  I am wondering where to spend my money?  I want to be able to replace hammers and do quality regulation.  Certainly with time this desire will grow to more ambitious ventures.

My question is about spurlock and jarris tools.  Which is the best device for hanging grand hammers and measuring string height, let off tools (spurlock clamp).  What about boring new hammers.  Is there a recommended jig?  If I have little experience in boring should I just order them done for me until I feel I can afford a test run?  I am NOT a manufacturer of things.  I want to buy something to make the job easier and faster but I can not build my own things.

Any suggestions and help?

thanks,

Steven Hopp

PianoWorks Studio