[pianotech] String coiler

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Tue Feb 17 08:03:32 PST 2009

Only used it once.
Cumbersome and slower than pre-coiling on a tuning pin. Positioning may need
to be modified as you work around the struts - this is an adjustment in the
thing that controls the rotation - as clearance may not allow enough turns.
My coils are more consistent when I pre-coil on a pin.
I had to modify the tool as the part that fits under the coil was too thick
and could gouge the plate.
There might be slightly less chance of buggering up a newly refinished plate
with the tool as opposed to pre-coiling - in my opinion.
Gene