[pianotech] palm nailerette

pianoguru at cox.net pianoguru at cox.net
Mon Feb 16 17:16:21 PST 2009

---- reggaepass at aol.com wrote:
>if there IS a marked difference between pounding in vs. pushing in,

In a "previous life" it was discovered in a factory where I worked that filing the tops of bridge pins to level the tops created just enough heat to make the pins loose, down the road.  I always hate the practice anyway, because it often produces nasty sharp edges on the tops of the pins.  Pushed pin can more easily be controlled to level off at the same height without the need of filing the tops to level them.  While pound the pins, on the other hand, it is difficult to level the tops without filing, grinding, or other such things that generate heat and ultimately looseness.  Did you happen to notice evidence of surfacing the ends of the pins to level them?  Perhaps the cause and effect relationship has less to do with pounding vs pushing, and more to do with leveling the tops, or not, or by what means.

Frank Emerson