[pianotech] Wurzen/Weickert felt

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon Feb 16 08:52:46 PST 2009

Paul
? Thanks
? This is the kind of feedback Nick was hoping for as well as others.
?Very useful & specific. It sounds all good to me.?Yet More evidence the pendulum is swinging back toward the beginning of the 20th century piano industry and medium density hammers
??
? Dale

-----

Hi Dale,

The "raw" hammers are suprisingly nice and round. ?After a very light paddle filing over the top (they're not very cupped right out of the box!) the clarity and "bite", if you will, begins to sing out. ?I follow that up with some tone building and sustain building with some light needling on the mid shoulders ala Wally style. Anyone that wants to use these should take Wally's class on tone building. He has a bit of a different take on how to needle, how far, and the angle in which to poke. ?I only juiced a slight amount on the last set, but it only took a very little to really get the bass to growl! and now the Steinway M sounds like a B! ?I think they are very consistant set to set. I have Wally pre-bore and shape the tails, etc just because he's better at it and it's waaay faster. I also iron them after all the poking.

I think I'm up to my 5th set in two years. ?All have been Steinways; M's a B, an L, and an A., so far, but will be trying them on some Baldwins next. ?We have lots here that have worn out hammers. ?Mostly R's. ?I'm curious as well to try a set on some 1965 Yamaha U-1's. ?If I like the result, I'm going to put some on my U-1 at home.

I now wish I had used them on the Baldwin D I've spoken of previously on which I installed the Wurzens. ?Perhaps I'm not familiar enough with them as I found I had to do a lot of juicing...unlike many of you who claim they're great out of the box. ?Maybe I just got a poor set, or probably more accurate, not versed in the Wurzen methods. They sound great now, but I was getting to that "i'd like to be finished and move on" mood.

Hope this helps.

Paul

?

erwinspiano at aol.com
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
02/16/2009 10:08 AM

Please respond to
pianotech at ptg.org

pianotech at ptg.org

cc

Subject

Re: [pianotech] Wurzen/Weickert felt

Hi Paul
?Can you describe the initial sound & in what type of pianos have you used them in?
?also what voicing methods were employed?
?How many sets?
Consistency?
Inquiring mind will wish to know.
?Thanks in advance.

?Dale

Hi all,

I've been using Wally's (Abel) Natural Felt for a couple of years now. ?Wally told us in an all day seminar we had here two years ago that they are less washed and bleached, using less chemicals, and it allows the wool to retain more of the natural lanolin in the fibers. ?They're extremely easy to work with and require very little voicing. ?I love 'em! :>) ?

Paul

?