[pianotech] Wurzen/Weickert felt

David C. Stanwood stanwood at tiac.net
Sun Feb 15 16:08:44 PST 2009

Thanks André... for your devotion to the craft...

It's exciting to see such a strong new interest
in making hammers the good old "Slow" way...  it
seems with hard pressed hammers we spend lots of
time undoing what was done in the pressing...
Most technicians in the US are not trained in
working up the hard pressed hammer.  I've seen
that formal training Europe has much more
emphasis on preneedling and needling to bring up
resiliency.  In this country it seems that a lot
of hot pressed hammer sets just get installed and
a little needling here and there is all they get.
It seems that many of us have forgotten or maybe
have never even experienced the kind of full
spectrum tone color that a beautifully made and
voiced hammer can elicit from a piano.

The only advantage to hot pressing is for the
hammer maker who can make them faster that
way.... One of the great things about these
new/old hammers is that they don't take hours and
days of work to bring up the resiliency... it was
never erased by heat in the first place but truly
built by tension in the press and by getting the
felt sheets right.

Jack Brand, who - as you know, is the owner of
Filzfabrik Wursen, will be telling the story of
the miraculous rediscovery of the old felt
formulas at the California State PTG convention
next week.... I've heard the story from him
personally and it's quite an amazing tale....  If
your at CAstate DON'T MISS HIS CLASS!

Thanks again André..

sincerely,

David Stanwood

PS - My mantra quote for voicing ideal from Alfred Dolge:

"The art in hammer making has ever been to obtain
a solid, firm foundation, graduating in softness
and elasticity toward the top surface, which
latter has to be silky and elastic in order to
produce a mild, soft tone for pianissimo playing,
but with sufficient resistance  back of it to
permit the hard blow of fortissimo playing."