[pianotech] Weickert special felt update

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Feb 15 10:57:30 PST 2009

I'd like to pipe in a bit more here after reading most of the posts on
the subject matter. It seems evident that some of us are applying
different words to different concepts in our attempts at describing how
a hammer is brought to its final voice.

The term "brightness" for example.  Clearly this means different things
to some of us. For me, the needling process does not really cause any
increase in brightness, tho I think I understand why the term is used by
many over there.  Rather it releases much of the power of the hammer
that lays trapped in the un-needled shoulder areas towards the crown.
Personally, I get little sense of increased brightness from this
process... some to be sure but that is much overshadowed by the increase
in fullness and in power. Said another way,  the un-needled hammers
inherent brightness is enhanced by the addition of power and the
fullness/fattening of the tone that results from the needling process.
And indeed sometimes this leaves the hammer require a bit of down toning
that perhaps was not so very evident at the start of the process.

Another point is the perspective of voicing up rather then voicing
down.  While I most certainly relate well to the idea that hammers
require lacquer equates well to the idea of voicing up, I'm not so well
with thinking along the lines that needling new hammers is the
equivalent of voicing down.  High quality hammers of the sort that
require needling need more a kind of opening up, a releasing of inert
power.  If anything this process is also a kind of voicing up more then
it is one of voicing down. The only real voicing down I want do have to
do with a hammer by needling is that final stage where I am trying to
get that wonderful pianissimo that does not come at the expense of the
power and fatness I've just released. If one has to tone down in general
... well this can come with either process and seems to me nearly a
separate voicing issue.

Cheers
RicB