[pianotech] Wurzen/Weickert felt

andré oorebeek oorebeek at planet.nl
Sun Feb 15 07:22:23 PST 2009

On Feb 14, 2009, at 8:16 PM, David C. Stanwood wrote:

> Hi André,
>
> You must be feeling good that that the world is finally
> rediscovering old world hammer felts by Filzfabrik Wurzen.  You've
> been ringing the Wurzen bell for some time now.  It's all very
> exciting!

Hello David,

It is certainly nice to see that, in the end, quality prevails.

> An important component of the Wurzen felts, or any old style hammer
> felt, is the cold pressing. In the New World, Ronsen has been a Rock
> of Gibraltar in providing the cold pressed option since I first
> discovered them in the '80s.  I know that at least one big European
> hammer maker, namely Abel, is now providing cold pressed hammers as
> a stock item - with their Natural Felt.

For many years I did not want to buy Abel hammers because he is/was
making hammers with VFG felt. In the piano industry, I 'grew up' with
VFG felt because the
Weickert felt was not anymore available.
I got to know 'Wurzen felt' around the end of the 1980's, and with a
sigh of relief because voicing finally became a pleasure (again).
If Mr Abel now makes hammers with Wurzen felt, warm pressed or cold
pressed, I think it is to his and our advantage.

> This is a new trend... is Renner cold pressing for you?

No, but they do not kill their hammers because they always sound good.
Moreover, they have a fully automated press (I think they are the only
hammer maker with such a very modern machine) which ensures great
evenness and stability.
I am pretty critical. If a hammer is no good, I shall not use it.
In friendly cooperation with the Renner technician, I have developed
my 'own' hammers which I can use on all types of grands.
So far, I have had only very good reactions from the many customers I
changed the hammers for.
It tells something about the high quality of the Renner hammers.

On the other hand, it would be very healthy for the market if there
are other hammer makers who also make very good hammers.
I live in Europe, and because of the VFG felt, I chose for Renner.
If I would live in the USA, I would probably do business with Renner
and certainly Ray Negron. I know Ray makes very good hammers.

> (My apologies if this subject has already been covered in past
> posts...)

The list is an evolving source of knowledge.
It is a place where we can learn from each other.

friendly greetings
from
André Oorebeek

Antoni van Leeuwenhoekweg 15