[pianotech] Weickert special felt update

Nick Gravagne gravagnegang at att.net
Sat Feb 14 13:14:15 PST 2009

Hi Dale,

Pursuant to my phone calls to you and these recent posts, the Weickert felts
appear to be an excellent new choice; and I look forward to using them ASAP.

I have been wondering, however, where are those Renner Blue advocates out
there, of which there must be many. I know of several Renner-only proponents
(and first-rate technicians to boot), but I do not think they subscribe to
this list. I don't wish to start a mine-is-better-than-yours debate; but it
seems that a professional discussion of the relative experiences and
anecdotal input on these matters along with specific voicing techniques
would be worthwhile. Is a consensus of thought developing out there?

Many experienced techs are loathe to use S&S hammers, either in the past or
present, for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is they feel they
cannot get the bite they are looking for. They opt for Renner or other or
even Hamburg Steinway as they prefer to work the hammer down rather than up.
Other fine techs take the opposite view by only using S&S as they feel they
can't get the warmth or stability they are looking for. You and others have
explained quite well the merits of the new Weickerts and I am very
appreciative of that.

I don't know if this post will catch on, and I doubt that any of us out here
would be interested in a free for all; that is why my idea is to consider
the opinions of experienced techs when it comes time to choose hammers for
performance venue instruments such as Bs and Ds. We all know that such
pianos need to bite as well as carry, and that most performers are going to
voice frustration if this isn't the case.

Having said this, I think it reasonable to assume the standard axioms such
as: It all depends on the needs of the performer; Let the piano tell you
what it needs; We don't all have the same sense of tone;
you_fill_in_the_blanks.

I would hope for professional replies, though I am aware that in the world
of Lists and Groups many believe that a no-holds-barred approach is the most
democratic, informative and should be considered the norm.

At any rate, I am interested in such an airing, and I believe that such
discussions have gone on in the past. Should this idea become a thread, the
Subject line may need revising.

Thanks again to you and Ray for all the R&D work and its value to the trade.

Respectfully,

Nick Gravagne, RPT

Piano Technicians Guild

Member Society Manufacturing Engineers