[pianotech] Jack wink /thanks/ and blostering knuckles

William R. Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Fri Feb 13 13:05:26 PST 2009

Keep in mind with bolstered knuckles, IME, that if the piano is played
regularly, the rep lever will soon be too high as the yarn will compress
much more quickly than the felt of a knuckle does.  You'll probably want to
reregulate the height in a year or so.

William R. Monroe

  Greetings,

            I read in Danny Boone's Regulating Grand Piano Touch and Tone
book, that flattened knuckles can be "bolstered"

            I read that this is done by threading a needle with 100% wool
yarn and taking the needle in one side of the knuckle and out the other and
clipping off the ends. So I tried one and liked the result. It took me about
15 min to do all 88, afterward, I brushed up the leather and Walaaa!  The
knuckles responded nicely:  ...or so it seems...(with this before mentioned
jack winking not looking right) ...Now I am wondering if that wasn't a
mistake. In any case, am going to check the spring and the rep lever
centerpinning.

      One more question: Can rep lever center pin grams resistance testing
be done with the rep lever(s) on the rail....or must I remove them?

       Thanks for help and enlightenments!

  Julia
  Reading, PA