[pianotech] S&S "D" Keys with Attachments on To

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Feb 13 07:21:18 PST 2009

The basis is that they flex too much and you lose power at the upper end.
When Steinway went to the accelerated action they removed the lower shoe in
order to make room for the bearing.  On a D, in particular, with extra key
length that reduction in height adds unwanted flex and it is easily
demonstrated as well as felt on hard blows with a delay between key
depression and hammer string contact.  Restoring the original height of the
key with an elongated top shoe also restores much of the lost stiffness.
Keys can be too stiff, I suppose, but it is not likely to happen in this
situation.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com