[pianotech] jack test / "winking" hammer

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 13 06:39:24 PST 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 7:01 AM, Al Guecia/AlliedPianoCraft <
AlliedPianoCraft at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  I second that Tom. Simple and to the point.
>
> Al

Hi Julia,

A couple of things jumped out at me, 1/64"? .003" is my benchmark. Secondly
if the hammer is dropping lower, either the rep spring isn't tight enough
or the clearance isn't there for the jack to return, a third possibility
comes to mind, have the jacks been centered on the knuckles?If so, possibly
as David said the friction at the rep lever center pin is too low.
If all of those are good then my thoughts turn to worn knuckles and other
parts which means you have to fudge the test by looking for a very subtle
movement of the hammer when the jack is lightly moved, never tapped,
remember the jack's full range of motion is only approximately 5 or 6 mm.

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404