[pianotech] Pressure ridges

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Fri Feb 13 05:16:18 PST 2009

Mike writes:

<< No experience here, but it seems logical to repair a pressure ridge the

same way one would repair a crack.  Cut away the damaged wood and fill

with either a spruce shim or thickened epoxy.  Like crack repair, this

would be mostly cosmetic, although you might expect this action to

prevent the rib separation that sometimes follows cracking. >>

        I think cutting up a soundboard because a pressure ridge is evident
is asking for trouble.  If there is no rib separation, there is no problem.
The separation and cracking tend to go together, but that is usually associated
with hide glue, which fractures easily once the crack begins.  I don't
remember a Yamaha that had ribs coming loose in normal usage.
   Sometimes it is better to let the instruments age with their cosmetic
blemishes rather than attempt major surgery.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Nothing says I love you like flowers! Find a
florist near you now.