[pianotech] Soundboard Pictures

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Feb 12 22:07:11 PST 2009

My answer was a bit flip but the overall quality of the tone (sustain being
one part) will tell you a lot about the tonal potential in an old board.
I'm sure if you could examine the wood cells under an electron microscope
you would be able to see damage but, of course, not all the cells in the
panel will be damaged just the weakest links in the compression chain.  One
interesting question is just how much cellular damage needs to take place
before there is a noticeable degradation in tone.

Admittedly, the science of the cellular degradation of the wood in
soundboard panels in not part of my expertise.  Careful listening before
teardown will tell you more than you need to know.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com