[pianotech] Soundboard Pictures

Noah Frere noahfrere at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 20:10:55 PST 2009

I have been reading for quite some time now, thanks to our wonderful
restored Archives, about soundboards. However, I fear I will be up half the
night with lots of ideas flying around, flying...

So, I have been planning on shimming a 1909 B. Shoninger soundboard with
large cracks, but was told it would be a waste of time, since the soundboard
is dead.

Now I don't want to start another round of arguments about this, so - are
there any scientific pictures of soundboard compressed wood fibers compared
to a new soundboard? In other words, microscopic photos of a "living" versus
"dead" soundboard? And, any scientific data giving evidence of the "death"
of an old board?

Meanwhile I will continue reading,