[pianotech] S&S "D" Keys with Attachments on To

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 12 14:43:42 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 3:23 PM, Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:

> Michael Magness wrote:
>
>> I was asked to tune this hamburg D for a Jim Brickman concert last fall
>> and in the process of trying to hunt down a rattle, which I eventually found
>> thanks to some expert advice from this list, I pulled the action and found
>> the keys had been, I guess, stiffened?
>> Each key had the button removed, a 1/2" X width of key X 8" piece of white
>> wood(spruce?) glued to the top, the key button then glued on top of that and
>> somewhere he found balance rail pins long enough to reach the top of all of
>> this but just barely, the rounded ends are in the bushings.
>>

> I used yellow poplar in this one. The original had both top plates and
> buttons, and needed new buttons. To stiffen the keys, I installed both
> longer top plates and buttons. It did substantially stiffen the keys.
>
> Ron N

I know my pics were lousy but I'm certain you can see the difference between
the clean neat not over the top job you did and the less than stellar job
performed on the piano in question.
This is a performance piano used by guest artists, the local symphony, etc.
It's in their main theatre, seating for 1000, at what, for this area,
is considered a prestigious music school with performances weekly in one
venue or another.
When I brought up the poor regulation to them I was told it wasn't their
"best" performance piano, it was only for the pop artists, that the other
"D" was in better regulation for their true pianists. The other "D" is in
a 144 seat theatre along with a "B" on a stage or in the storeroom adjacent
to it, with no way of moving it to the larger venue, since the school owns
no moving equipment.

I did not seek them out, they came to me. When I billed them for the 2 hours
I sat waiting for Brickman to show up for the soundcheck, I was told to be
there at 3:30 for soundcheck, he arrived at 5:40, I was paid and haven't
been called since.

I just thought some of you might find these pics interesting.

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404