[pianotech] inharmonicity in piano wire

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Thu Feb 12 08:02:45 PST 2009

If iH is greater at lower tension, this should be a reminder to ETD
users not to count on measurements made when the piano is
significantly below pitch.

When I could only tune with an ETD, at first I measured iH on every
piano before tuning.  I realized later it was better for a piano I'm
seeing for the first time to measure existing pitch using a tuning
file I already have for a similar piano, then pitch raise, and then
measure iH to create a custom file for this piano.

Will the iH error be significant for a piano 20 cents flat?

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
ABQ, NM
www.shusterpiano.com