[pianotech] Piano Wire Metal

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 12 05:57:35 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 6:23 AM, Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:

>  Wound strings which broke at the loop, something I have only had happen
>> once in my 40 years in the business prior to these.
>>  Michael Magness
>>

> Ah, there it is. It isn't the wire that has the problem, it's the string
> maker. Been there.
> Ron N

Hi John,

I'm going to make an assumption, something I rarely do, especially in this
forum and guess that you make your bass string loops in what I refer to as
the "european style". Which is a tight round loop as opposed to the typical
american style which is a long oval loop.
The breakage to which I refer occurred on the right side of the loop the
left as you look at the pic below, past the twist and into the loop itself
about 7-8mm, in all cases, as I was chipping, using an ETD set to and locked
on the note in question. This was the 2nd pass after roughing to pitch using
a used spinet as reference, it had been brought in for other work and I
tuned it prior to using it for that reference. Most broke at the time, some
broke overnight.
They were replaced, I had no further difficulty except I had to advise the
customer that delivery would be delayed due to this problem.
When I delivered it he made the offer of his son's expertise.

<http://www.uscconlinealbum.com/pianoman/mobile-uploads/_entry/29ac32d3e409fe58/jsps/media-view#>

Mike

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404