[pianotech] Piano Wire Metal

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Thu Feb 12 02:49:15 PST 2009

That may have more to do with how the strings were made than the
composition.  I just replaced a brand new set of bass strings on a M & H A
from one of our domestic bass string suppliers where half a dozen strings
broke in exactly the same place on the straight wire right below the barrel
of the end winding (about 1 ½” from the end of the loop).  My guess is that
there was some flaw in the winding process that overstressed the wire past
the elastic limit at that point, causing it to fail during the chipping
process.  Perhaps our esteemed British bass string maker could make some
comment on what might happen in the process of making the strings to create
this.

Will Truitt