[pianotech] Piano Wire Metal

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 11 21:45:32 PST 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 8:07 AM, <A440A at aol.com> wrote:

> I have an opportunity to have some strings analyzed to ascertain the exact
> cause of why they broke(long story). In order for the analysis to be done
> accurately they need to know the composition metal of piano wire. I have
> always understood it to be tempered steel.
>
> Greetings,
>    I don't think it is tempered, but, rather, annealed in order to rectify
> the work hardening that occurs when the metal is drawn through the dies.
>    It is also curious that someone could analyse wire to determine the
> cause of breakage and not be able to analyse the material, itself.????
> regards,
> Ed Foote RPT
> http://www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/index.html
>

> **************
> A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps! (
> http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1218550342x1201216770/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26hmpgID=62%26bcd=febemailfooterNO62)

My understanding (2nd hand) is that he only does the analysis of the break
based on the composition of the metal which is usually provided to him. He
is involved in Homeland security contract work and offered to do this for
his father whose piano I rebuilt and had the problem string(s) on. Wound
strings which broke at the loop, something I have only had happen once in my
40 years in the business prior to these.

Mike

--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404