[pianotech] inharmonicity in piano wire

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Feb 11 20:37:53 PST 2009

Bruce Dornfeld wrote:
> The sound of a piano is, as we all know, a very complicated system.  The
> inharmonicity does not come from the piano wire alone.  If you bow (if
> your violin bow doesn't fit, rosin up a scrap of old felt) a piano
> string, the inharmonicity will be less than striking the string with a
> piano hammer!  The formulas we have for inharmonicity in a piano do not
> show these things; they assume the piano will have felt hammers, bridges
> and a soundboard fixed on all sides.  How much these other
> things influence inharmonicity, I don't know, but the image we like to
> hold in our mind to understand it normally simplifies things too much.
>

> Bruce Dornfeld, RPT

Simplifies things too much for what? The available math is
quite sufficient for scaling purposes, and we don't typically
personally calculate inharmonicity for tunings. Beyond a
nominally practical approximation, of what further use do we
have for ever more minutely accurate inharmonicity calculations?
Ron N