[pianotech] inharmonicity in piano wire

Mark Schecter mark at schecterpiano.com
Wed Feb 11 13:48:07 PST 2009

Hi, Nick.

Thanks for this explanation, the image is really helpful, and makes
intuitive sense to me.

However, as has been repeated here previously, Dr. Sanderson has said
that (if I understand him) inharmonicity is due to the material's
stiffness at the attachment points only, and that mass at the
non-terminal nodes is not a factor. Whereas, your knot analogy/image, if
I understand it correctly, says that mass at the node _is_ to be
subtracted from the mass of the segment. So is Dr. Sanderson just wrong,
or is there some way in which you're both right, that I'm just not
getting? Can you clarify? Thanks.

-Mark Schecter