[pianotech] inharmonicity in piano wire

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Feb 11 11:03:24 PST 2009

>I would at first think that higher tension in the string would
> increase even more the difficulty to bend the string at the attach
> points.  Anyone on this ?

Think of it this way. A lower tension string will go through a
wider excursion of movement than a higher tension for a
similar energy input. The lower the tension, the wider the
excursion, and the more flex there is at the terminations, so
the wire stiffness has a greater affect on inharmonicity. The
higher the tension, the narrower the excursion, and the
smaller the flex at the terminations. The higher tension means
the wire doesn't have to flex as far to do it's job, so the
inharmonicity lowers.

Ron N