[pianotech] Oversized Tuning Pins vs. New Block

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Mon Feb 9 20:35:53 PST 2009

Dave,

I'm no reference material, but I'm generally in favor of block replacement vs. oversize pins.  I do wonder about your concerns with having a block that has already been drilled going to the refinishers.  ???  Why is that a problem?  Other than perhaps wanting to let the block recondition to your shop upon return, what long-term damage would occur?  I mean, as far as lumber goes, the pinblock is probably the most stable part of the piano with changing humidity, no?  More or less, obviously, depending upon if it is a 5 ply, multi-lam, or Delignit style block.

William R. Monroe

        I'm looking for some reference/article/quote that I can use (besides my own opinion) to reason/argue on why a Baldwin D should get a new pinblock w/ #2 tuning pins instead of an oversized pin job.  This is for a school district bid that specifies that the piano shall be in 'like-new' condition after work is completed.
        It also requires refinishing of the case.  How can one ship a piano to a refinisher's shop for roughly a month having no control of humidity w/ an open-drilled block?  It's absurd!  I'm having a hard time finding something in print that can help me AND the piano.

        Dave Hulbert, RPT
        414.315.7763
        dave at hulbertpiano.com
        www.hulbertpiano.com