[pianotech] finding the strike line

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Sun Feb 8 16:03:58 PST 2009

Thanks Dale,
I have really spent considerable time at the listening thing. I can set the hammer at note 68 to about 1/9th and get a great tone - strong fundamental with definite pleasing upper partial and great sustain. Then push the hammer close to the string so I can see the strike point, then pluck the string in many places on both sides of the strike point and not really hear any decernable change in tone - that is unless I extend my plucking more than 5 or 6 mm.
I suppose that I will need to just choose the best strike line and hang the hammers based on what I am hearing.
Gene