[pianotech] Do fourths beat faster?

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Sun Feb 8 14:49:55 PST 2009

Do ascending fourths beat  faster? The answer is "Sometimes."

Ironic that this discussion  on fourths and fifths is just about to produce
more heat than light, just at the  time that something useful is beginning to
emerge....  Hang on, hang  on....

Given a choice, I'll  obviously rather have my tunings sound good than
understand them, but intellect  and intuition are not mutually exclusive. They are
both human attempts at  understanding, but they do not change the nature of
things; they are just  approximations which we find helpful. I have huge regard
for the human wetware,  so I like to think of intellect as informing intuition,
to make sure it has  all the correct inputs it needs to function well. If the
result is good, it  doesn't matter how we describe it, but keeping both
channels open surely makes  the job more interesting. Sometimes our doing is ahead
of our understanding;  sometimes the other way around.

That said, the math must  itself be based on correct inputs. Calculations
based on frequency tables may be  correct to six decimals, but are not the
information we need for tuning.  (Because of inharmonicity, if A4 is 440.00 Hz, D4
will not be 293.664776, but  something closer to 293, and their 3:2 coincidence
will not be exactly 880 and  880.99xxxx, but something different depending on
the inharmonicity of each  note). Inharmonicity is exactly what this whole
conversation hinges on, being  the cause of fourths and fifths staying close to
the same up the scale. Fourths  will typically, but not necessarily, increase
in speed very slightly as we  ascend through the temperament area, but in no
case will their beat rates come  close to doubling each octave, and in most
pianos, they stay close to the same  above (and below) the temperament. This is
counter-intuitive only  if we don't have a full understanding of the effects of
inharmonicity.

I just re-read Dan  Levitan's excellent articles which begin in the August
1994 Journal. I'm no math  whiz, so for me they're heavy going. It took him
several articles to explain  this, so I can't summarize his reasoning in a
sentence or two,  BUT, some of the conclusions are that
1) Inharmonicity  would cause ascending fourths to be wider (beat faster) and
fifths to be  narrower (beat faster), but
2) it also expands octaves even more, which more  than counteracts this.
3) as inharmonicity increases up a good scale, the  ever-wider fourths,
ever-narrower fifths, and ever-wider octaves keep  counteracting each other,
keeping the beat rate nearly the same, at least at the  lowest coincidence,
depending on the tuner's choice of octave width.
4)  Although temperament beat rates are not the same from piano to piano,
most  well-scaled pianos, even with different primary inharmonicities, produce
very  similar beat speeds, and similar (but not necessarily identical or
linear) rate increases on the temperament thirds, because of the scaler's  attention
to the rate of change of that inharmonicity.
5) Some of our  temperament tests which rely on equal beating, such as the
inside M3 - outside  M6, are unreliable at the finest level, since the speed of
each of those  intervals depends upon octave width, and they change either at
different rates,  or, in the case of tests using a minor interval and a major
one, oppositely.

Taking the D5-A5 fifth as  an example: the inharmonicity of the third partial
of D4 (A6) is greater than  that of the second partial of A4 (A6), which
would make it sharper, and  therefore the fifth narrower EXCEPT that the A5-A6
octave is wider than the  difference. On a typical scale, if A4=440 Hz, its 2nd
partial (A5) will be about  2 cents sharp of 880, or about 881; its 4th partial
(A6) will be around 10 cents  sharp of 1760, or ~ 1770Hz. This will cause the
5th to be slower than if the  octave were an exact 2:1 ratio. The third
partial of D5 (A6), will actually wind  up very close to 1770.

I hope Dan will forgive (or  correct) my (very) condensed (incomplete)
version of his fine work.

Bob Davis
**************Who's never won?  Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on
AOL Music.