[pianotech] inharmonicity in piano wire

Stéphane Collin collin.s at mobistar.be
Sat Feb 7 07:17:42 PST 2009

Hi Alan, hi Bruce.

In my understanding up till now, the inharmonicity in piano wire is due to
the metal stiffness at the attach points.  At the attach points (whether
they are moving (bridge pin) or not (aggraffee)), the metal of the string ha
to bend in order to let the string vibrate.  In fact, the string bends all
over its length, but at the attach point it is the most critical.  For lower
harmonics, the ample movements of the string have more energy to bend the
metal at the attach point, but for higher harmonics, the smaller movements
of the string have less energy for that, and so there is a larger portion of
the string at the attach point that will stay unaffected by those
frequencies, so the string, at high partials, acts physically as if it was
shorter (you have to subtract of the speaking length at those frequencies
the portion of string that doesn’t vibrate at those frequencies near the
attach point).  That would be the reason why higher harmonics are sharp
against their ideal theoretical (following Pythagoras) value : they actually
ride a shorter speaking length.

And then, there is the complex role of all the rest of the piano,
communicating with the string via the bridge and the aggraffees (or capo)
and making the whole shebam even more intricatedly complicated.

Anyway, for a same speaking length, inharmonicity decreases as tension
increases (hear the bell like sound, very inharmonic, when you release
tension in a string).  How this relates to that, I can’t imagine clearly.  I
would at first think that higher tension in the string would increase even
more the difficulty to bend the string at the attach points.  Anyone on this
?

Of course, it would not be the first time that my understanding proves
wrong, so it is subject to change without notice.  I would be happy to read
another better explanation, or the same but better said, or another but
better said, or any for curiosity.

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.