[pianotech] Do fourths beat faster?

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Sat Feb 7 06:36:32 PST 2009

OK Brian,

I thought I was encouraging the debate as well.  I chose to SNIP in a
starting point to address the entire post - I didn't feel it was necessary
to paste the entire (lengthy) post.  My reply was simply suggesting that you
acknowledge the varied and successful approaches in tuning, nothing more,
nothing less.  Your post vehemently proclaimed the need for every technician
worth his salt to have this kind of thorough grasp on the theory you
present.  I disagreed with that idea.

I pasted the only real part of your post I took issue with.  I believe I
concurred with the math you presented, yes?  I also don't think I suggested
that you were an unskilled technician, though I can hardly honestly say that
"I'm sure you're a great tuner too."  I don't know you, or know of you, and
have never heard of you.  I'm not one who is too skilled at empty
complimentary chatter.  So, please don't take offense because I failed to
recognize your skills.  I acknowledge your understanding of the theory, and
I acknowledge your representation of your completed examinations.

William R. Monroe