[pianotech] Do fourths beat faster?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Feb 6 21:17:23 PST 2009

I've gotta wonder what planet I'm on this week when something
like this comes up. In a decent aural tuning, where the 3rds,
4ths, 5ths, 6ths, octaves, 10ths, 12ths, double octaves,
17ths, and even triple octaves all fall into some reasonably
sane relationship, the 4ths and 5ths beat at pretty much the
same speed, respectively, throughout the scale. The
determination of this is a result of listening rather than
math and theory. Remember listening? Hands? This would be in
the coin of the realm, or what nominally passes for ET. Do any
of you actually produce tunings that have 4ths and 5ths
audibly increasing in beat rate as you go up scale? If so, how?

Eternally mystified,
Ron N