[pianotech] Do fourths beat faster?

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Fri Feb 6 20:28:02 PST 2009

Well said! And ye got there afore me! :-)

Paul

In a message dated 2/6/2009 9:55:33 P.M. Central Standard Time,
pianotech at a440piano.net writes:

SNIP

> We don't need to discuss how many tunings we have all  performed to justify
> our knowledge.
>
> Regards
>  Brian

Neither do we need to discuss how many theories and calculations  we
can/have/should be doing.  You've got the math worked out Brian,  that's
clear.  But before you continue shouting out against those who  don't do
mathematical calculations every time they tune a  third/fourth/fifth or
whatever, consider that there are many ways to  achieve fine tunings.  I
assure you, whatever chasm there is between  you and David A. in
communication, and in your chosen thought processes  when tuning, when you
listen to one of his tunings (I have) you'll simply  have to accept that his
methodology works.  David is an excellent  technician and an excellent tuner,
and however he thinks about how he does  what he does is largely irrelevant.

Fantastic tunings can be obtained  by technicians with a dizzying range of
theoretical knowledge.  You  like the numbers, others may not, but the
results speak.  As author  Piers Anthony once said to a class of english
students (paraphrasing here)  "I no more need to know the names of all the
parts of speech to use them  properly than I need to know the names of all
the parts of the human body  to use them properly."  And yes, we can break
this analogy down, but  the sentiment is interesting food for thought.

So, ease up on the  ranting and ponder that it really might not be so linear
(the tuning  process, that is).

William R.  Monroe

net/clk;211531132;33070124;e)