[pianotech] elbow replacement (quick question)

Daniel Carlton carltonpiano at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 6 15:20:22 PST 2009

I'm old school and use the vice grip at the top of the old elbow as a
"stop" for the new elbow.
This is a good idea, as long as the new elbows are the same dimensions
as the new ones. Loosening the wooden dowels definitely helps!

...I much prefer to do this job on my bench, especially that last one!!
I just  break the old elbows, remove the stickers, lay them all out on
the unfinished side of the bottom panel of the piano that I've laid
out on the customer's floor, and go to work right at the piano. (that
is, if they're all breakable; check first so you don't crack any of
the whippens trying to break the old elbows. DAMHIK.)

Daniel Carlton