[pianotech] Do fourths beat faster?

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 6 06:05:16 PST 2009

David's right. Because of inharmonicity and octave stretching, fourths and fifths progress more slowly in the mid-range of the piano. I suppose on organs they follow the octave/double rule.
Read Dan Levitan's 2007-08 series to understand this. Plan on studying for 2 or 3 weeks and taking notes!
Remember that on piano we are tuning "Imitation ET," which is not the same as theoretically perfect ET.

Ed Sutton

ps I apologize for the blank messages. If you have Windows Vista with erratic slowdowns, you know why.