[pianotech] Elbow Replacement (quick question)

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 18:14:54 PST 2009

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Tom Driscoll <tomtuner at verizon.net> wrote:

> The hardest part can be removing the remaining plastic from around the
> center pin. I have had success nipping the plastic with center pin diagonal
> cutters, but if not careful  the wood can brake around the pin. I think
> someone recommended a chiller of some sort to freeze the plastic and render
> it more brittle.
> I'm sure our list pals will elaborate on some other methods

A good way of removing the old plastic from the center pin is to use a
small "needle-nose" vise-grip pliers.  Grind down the sides so it fits in
between the wood. Set the jaws of the pliers far enough apart so that they
won't muck up the center pin.  Crunch away.  Unless the plastic still has
some life in it, this works well. Otherwise, it's rather chewy, and other
methods must be engaged.

This tip came from the list some years back. I forget from whom.

--
JF